Cancer and Supportive Care Resources
Social Worker, Nurse Navigator and Aboriginal Navigator Resources
Cancer often impacts more than just your physical health. You may find that it affects other areas of your, such as self-image, family relationships, work and friendships. A Nurse Navigator and Social Worker are available to you at Northumberland Hills Hospital from cancer diagnosis and treatment to survivorship. For patients with Aboriginal cultural needs, an Aboriginal Navigator is available through the Central East Regional Cancer Program.
Helping you along the pathway to wellness following a cancer diagnosis, the Nurse Navigator, Social Worker and Aboriginal Navigator can offer support through:
- Psychological Support
- Connection with Community Resources
What is a Social Worker?
A social worker specializes in looking at your health from the perspective of physical, emotional, social and mental wellbeing.
How Can a Social Worker Help Me?
- Counselling for anxiety, stress, relationships and emotional wellbeing
- Advance care planning
- Connecting with community resources
- Accessing financial aid or transportation
- Support for caregivers
Some questions or concerns you might have…
"I can’t seem to shut my brain off and I am having trouble sleeping at night"
"I am concerned about my family; I don’t want to worry them"
What is a Nurse Navigator?
The Nurse Navigator’s role is to work with you by connecting you with information and resources to help you make informed decisions about your care.
How Can a Nurse Navigator Help Me?
- Reduce anxiety about treatment by empowering patients and families with information
- A person to call for advice with questions, problems or decisions
- Educational resource for treatment options and help figuring out what comes next
- Providing resources in the community to assist with transportation, peer support, childcare, etc.
- Guidance to schedule appointments, procedures, tests, and treatment
- A liaison with doctors, to help identify and assist with concerns
How Can an Aboriginal Navigator Help Me?
- Connect with cultural and translation services
- Plan care that is focused on patient goals and wishes
- Support before, during and after appointments, including monthly Sharing Circles
- Answers to questions about care
905-372-6811 ext: 3021
905-372-6811 ext: 3213
Kathy MacLeod Beaver
905-576-8711, ext: 2554 OR
1-866-338-1778 ext: 2554