Access to Information
Effective January 1, 2012, hospitals in Ontario will be subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA). Northumberland Hills Hospital (NHH) has a strong tradition of openness and accountability. To support compliance with FIPPA, NHH has created a Freedom of Information Office that will process freedom of information requests and oversee the protection of privacy.
The Act has two main purposes:
- to make public bodies more transparent and accountable by providing individuals with the right of access to government records
- to protect personal information from unauthorized collection, use or disclosure by public bodies.
Links to the Act, and other related information, including answers to Frequently Asked Questions related to FIPPA, are provided below.
NHH’s website is your primary point of reference for corporate records. A Document Archive provides quick links to frequently requested information, including Annual Reports, Hospital Bylaws, Financial Statements and more. Further records will be found in the Accountability section and in the Board of Directors section of the site, both under About NHH.
If you cannot find what you are looking for on our website, please contact our Freedom of Information Specialist (firstname.lastname@example.org 905-377-7791).
In the event that you do not find the information you are looking for on our website, you have the right to make a formal request under FIPPA.
All formal requests should be directed to NHH’s Freedom of Information Specialist. NHH will process your request and make information available to you in an expedient and reasonable amount of time, in accordance with FIPPA. For details on fees associated with FIPPA requests click here.
Directory of Records and Personal Information Banks
See NHH’s Directory of Records and Personal Information Banks for information on the types of records held by NHH. Please note that some or all of these records may fall under the protection of privacy rules as stated in law.
FIPPA Request Form and Submission Process
Download NHH’s FIPPA request form here or contact NHH’s Freedom of Information (FOI) Specialist (see below). There are three ways to submit a formal FIPPA request to NHH:
- Submit in person: Print the form above, and deliver to the Freedom of Information Specialist together with payment. Please contact the FOI Specialist to set up an appointment in advance.
- Submit by postal mail: Print the form above, and mail to NHH care of the Freedom of Information Specialist together with payment.
- Submit by email: Return the completed form above to email@example.com; Note: A request will commence with receipt of payment, as outlined on the form. NHH’s Freedom of Information Specialist will contact you to coordinate payment by credit card or mail.
- If requesting a correction to personal information, please do not send via email or fax.
Questions or Comments?
To learn more about FIPPA legislation, or to inquire about a specific information, contact NHH’s Freedom of Information Specialist.
By phone: 905-377-7791
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail: Freedom of Information Specialist, 1000 DePalma Drive, Cobourg, Ontario, K9A 5W6
Please note: FIPPA does not allow access to personal health records or personal health information. This information will continue to be governed by the Personal Health Information Protection Act. For further information on how to access Personal Health Information at NHH click here.